SMMoA Presents Tour da Arts, vol. 6
Release Date: June 16, 2014
Sunday, August 24, 2014
Noon to 5 pm
SANTA MONICA, CA—The Santa Monica Museum of Art (SMMoA) presents its sixth annual cultural bike tour, Tour da Arts, vol. 6, on Sunday, August 24. Tour da Arts participants explore the creative side of bicycle culture on a casual, nine-mile ride filled with art, music, and theater. Riders also experience Santa Monica as a car-free community, learning about the City’s bike lanes and other bike-friendly infrastructure from Tour da Arts’ ride leaders. Participation is free and open to all ages; riders must register at smmoa.org/tourdaarts. Complimentary bike rentals are also available from Perry’s Café and Rentals, while supplies last.
Tour da Arts, vol. 6 runs from noon to 5 pm, with stops at the Santa Monica Museum of Art in the Bergamot Station Arts Center, the Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club, and John Adams Middle School. Riders will be dazzled by unique sights and sounds at each stop: a chromatically radiant exhibition of paintings by Robert Swain, a music and movement concert by artist-musician Anna Oxygen, an animated film with live shadow choreography by artist Miwa Matreyek, and excerpts from Bike Odyssey LA‘s adaptation of Homer’s Odyssey. See the Tour da Arts vol. 6 Schedule below for details.
SMMoA kicked off Tour da Arts, vol. 6 in June with a Bike Critter Art Contest. Artists of all ages and levels were invited to draw and submit an imaginative, cycling creature for use as the vol. 6 logo. Garrett Belmont’s “Rabbit on a Bicycle” was chosen by SMMoA’s curatorial staff as the winning drawing.
Requirements: Basic riding skills and a functioning bicycle. All participants under the age of 18 must wear a helmet and be escorted by a parent or guardian. Children under the age of 9 should be on a tag-along, bike trailer, tandem, or other safe, child-carrying device. All riders must register at smmoa.org/tourdaarts.
Tour da Arts vol. 6 Schedule:
Noon – 2:00 pm: Check-in at the Santa Monica Museum of Art
• SMMoA Exhibition Tours: Robert Swain: The Form of Color and Nonfictions: Jeremiah Day/Simone Forti/Fred Dewey.
• Bicycle Advocacy: Learn fun and safe biking tips from C.I.C.L.E. (Cyclists Inciting Change thru Live Exchange, the Tour da Arts, vol. 6 ride leaders), Santa Monica SPOKE/Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition, LA Metro, and City of Santa Monica Transportation. Get a complimentary tune-up from Bikerowave, a volunteer-run, community-operated bike repair shop.
• Wiki-Theater: Bike Odyssey LA’s Brian Sonia-Wallace presents a crash course on Homer’s Odyssey, in the form of a live action Wikipedia page.
• Food and Drink: Enjoy delicious options from Clif Bar, Whole Foods Market Venice, and Peddler’s Creamery.
2:00 pm: Tour da Arts, vol. 6 leaves the Santa Monica Museum of Art
2:30 – 3:00 pm: Second Stop: Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club
• Anna Oxygen Concert: Artist-composer Anna Oxygen’s electronic music performance engages the Tour da Arts audience in an interactive dance-along. Refreshments and snacks provided by Whole Foods Market Venice and Clif Bar.
3:30 – 4:00 pm: Third Stop: Barnum Hall at Santa Monica High School
• Myth and Infrastructure: Myth and Infrastructure is an innovative artwork that combines animated film with live, shadow-play performance. It features original music, natural and urban landscapes, fantastic dreamscapes, and Matreyek’s own shadow as its main character.
4:30 – 5:00 pm: Final Stop: Return to SMMoA at the Bergamot Station Arts Center
• Bike Odyssey LA: Enjoy an iconic scene from Homer’s Odyssey adapted for contemporary Los Angeles and for two wheels, produced by Brian Sonia-Wallace.
• Tour da Arts Raffle: Win gifts from Linus Bikes, Lucy Sportswear, and more!
Participation in Tour da Arts, vol. 6 is FREE thanks to our generous sponsors: the City of Santa Monica and the Santa Monica Arts Commission, the Barnwood Foundation, the Eileen Harris Norton Foundation, and the Santa Monica Bike Center. To keep Tour da Arts and SMMoA’s other exhibitions and programs free, please visit http://smmoa.org/support/give/overview/.
Special thanks to our event partners: Bergamot Station Arts Center, LLC., Bikerowave, C.I.C.L.E., City of Santa Monica Water Treatment Program, Cynergy Cycles, Helen’s Cycles, John Adams Middle School, LA Metro, the Levi's® Commuter Workspace, Linus Bikes, Lucy Sportswear, Perry’s Café and Rentals, Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club, Santa Monica SPOKE/LACBC, Yelp
Special thanks also to our in-kind sponsors: Whole Foods Market Venice and Clif Bar and Company.
For further information about Tour da Arts or to schedule interviews, please contact Lynda Dorf, 424.645.4620 or email@example.com.