- Lectures + Conversations
- Members' Only
- Llano Del Rio Artists Residency
- School Programs
Tuesday through Saturday
11 am–6 pm
Sunday, Monday and all legal holidays
Closed for installation between exhibitions.
Saturday, Aug 9, 2014
Park Studio: Tree House
Family Members and above: Free
Individual/Artist/Student/Senior Members: Free
Partner Members: Free
Create your own succulump—a suspended, spherical garden—with the magic of macramé and help from Linda Hsiao of Knotwork LA. Knotwork LA is an outlet for the work Hsiao and partner Kagan Taylor do in their spare time, hand-crafting whimsical and beautiful products. Supplies and plants included with registration.
Succulumps with Linda Hsiao is a part of SMMoA’s Park Studio: Tree House Teen Workshop series.
Sunday, Aug 24, 2014
Tour da Arts, vol. 6 is the Santa Monica Museum of Art’s sixth annual cultural bike tour. Enjoy the creative side of bicycle culture on this casual, nine-mile ride filled with art, music, and theater.
Explore the creative side of bicycle culture and experience Santa Monica as a car-free community, learning about the City’s bike lanes and other bike-friendly infrastructure from Tour da Arts’ ride leaders. Participation is free and open to all ages. Tour da Arts, vol. 6 runs from noon to 5 pm, with stops at the Santa Monica Museum of Art in the Bergamot Station Arts Center, the Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club, and John Adams Middle School. Riders will be dazzled by unique sights and sounds at each stop:
Tour da Arts vol. 6 Schedule
Noon – 2:00 pm: Check-in at the Santa Monica Museum of Art
- SMMoA Exhibition Tours: Robert Swain: The Form of Color and Nonfictions: Jeremiah Day/Simone Forti/Fred Dewey.
- Bicycle Advocacy: Learn fun and safe biking tips from C.I.C.L.E. (Cyclists Inciting Change thru Live Exchange, the Tour da Arts, vol. 6 ride leaders), Santa Monica SPOKE/Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition, LA Metro, and City of Santa Monica Transportation. Get a complimentary tune-up from Bikerowave, a volunteer-run, community-operated bike repair shop.
- Wiki-Theater: Bike Odyssey LA’s Brian Sonia-Wallace presents a crash course on Homer’s Odyssey, in the form of a live action Wikipedia page.
- Food and Drink: Enjoy delicious options from Clif Bar, Whole Foods Market Venice, and Peddler’s Creamery.
2:00 pm: Tour da Arts, vol. 6 leaves the Santa Monica Museum of Art
2:30 – 3:00 pm: Second Stop: Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club
- Anna Oxygen Concert: Artist-composer Anna Oxygen’s electronic music performance engages the Tour da Arts audience in an interactive dance-along. Refreshments and snacks provided by Whole Foods Market Venice and Clif Bar.
3:30 – 4:00 pm: Third Stop: the John Adams Middle School Auditorium
- Myth and Infrastructure: Myth and Infrastructure is an innovative artwork that combines animated film with live, shadow-play performance. It features original music, natural and urban landscapes, fantastic dreamscapes, and Matreyek’s own shadow as its main character.
4:30 – 5:00 pm: Final Stop: Return to SMMoA at the Bergamot Station Arts Center
- Bike Odyssey LA: Enjoy an iconic scene from Homer’s Odyssey adapted for contemporary Los Angeles and for two wheels, produced by Brian Sonia-Wallace.
- Tour da Arts Raffle: Win gifts from Linus Bikes, Lucy Sportswear, and more!
Complimentary bike rentals are available from Perry’s Café and Rentals, and can be reserved during registration (while supplies last).
SMMoA kicked off Tour da Arts, vol. 6 in June with a Bike Critter Art Contest. Artists of all ages and levels were invited to draw and submit an imaginative, cycling creature for use as the vol. 6 logo. Garrett Belmont’s “Rabbit on a Bicycle” was chosen by SMMoA’s curatorial staff as the winning drawing.
Participation in Tour da Arts, vol. 6 is FREE thanks to our generous sponsors: the City of Santa Monica and the Santa Monica Arts Commission, the Barnwood Foundation, the Eileen Harris Norton Foundation, and the Santa Monica Bike Center. To keep Tour da Arts and SMMoA’s other exhibitions and programs free, please visit http://smmoa.org/support/give/overview/.
Special thanks to our event partners: Aika Trading, Bergamot Station Arts Center, LLC., Bikerowave, C.I.C.L.E., City of Santa Monica Water Treatment Program, Cynergy Cycles, Helen’s Cycles, John Adams Middle School, LA Metro, the Levi’s® Commuter Workspace, Linus Bikes, Lucy Sportswear, Peddler’s Creamery, Perry’s Café and Rentals, Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club, Santa Monica SPOKE/LACBC, Yelp